Tonight before bedtime I sat Ben down in his rocking chair so that I could get his crib ready. Typically before bedtime I hold him and we read a book together before I feed him one last time. However, tonight he seemed so content to be sitting up like a big boy in his chair that I thought I would let him “hold” the book and read. We had a great time! Ben has been very helpful lately when we read books together. He tries to help hold the book and turn the pages for me. I hope you have as much fun watching this clip as Ben did “reading” his book called Discovery Farm!
Monthly Archives: June 2008
My precious friend Olivia and her sweet family welcomed Baby Eden Michal on Saturday, June 21st at 11:15am. She weighed 8 pounds, 12 ounces, and was 19 1/2 inches long. According to her Daddy she has a head full of brown hair with blond highlights! Here’s a picture of the beautiful family! Congratulations!!
Our friends, Dave and Nikki, hosted a little BBQ on Sunday afternoon to celebrate Ben’s birth. It was so much fun! This was a big day of firsts for Ben…his fist BBQ and his first time to get in a pool! Nikki made lots of yummy food for us and we had a great time playing on the Nintendo Wii. Ben wasn’t exactly thrilled to try out the pool and definitely wasn’t interested in feeling the water. He sure looked cute in his surfer shirt and board shorts though! As soon as we got in the water it started to sprinkle so we were only able to spend about five minutes testing it out. For now it seems like Ben is content to splash in his little blue tub at bath time! Here are a few pics from our fun day!
(From left to right: Jake and Ben; Christy and David w/ Olivia; Nikki and Dave (their daughters, Kendall and Kalista, were off playing); Jeremy and Amy w/ Austin.)
Last week was a busy one so I am just getting a chance to update you all on what was happening in Ben’s world at 16 weeks! He’s been doing all kinds of cool stuff!! It is so much fun to watch him grow and change. Here are a few highlights:
- He has gotten VERY GOOD at grasping things with both hands. His favorite toy right now is his rattle we call “Sassy.” Sassy is the brand name (not very creative, I know). Click here to watch the clip. He also LOVES to grab my hair which can be a little painful a times.
- He is also learning to hold his head up for longer periods of time. Therefore, he is starting to like his Bumbo seat more and more!! Check out these Bumbo seat progression pictures. (Uncle Tim w/ Ben at 5 weeks, Ben at 13 weeks, Ben at 16 weeks.)
- He really enjoys sucking on his fists! His poor little knuckles look red A LOT since he sucks on them so much! If his fists are not in his mouth, I usually see him with his two little hands clasped together in front of his face. Here’s his 16 week picture that seems to capture his new love for his little fist.
- He has lots of fun during tummy time as seen in the clips here with Dakota. He has even been attempting to roll over. It won’t be much longer before he is doing it all on his own. Click here for a clip. When you watch this clip you will find yourself cheering him on!!
- He loves to be cradled in my arms and then stares up at my face. He could beat anyone in a staring contest! He also has started something new while he’s eating. He will eat for a second or two and then pull his head back and give me a big grin and repeat this little game over and over again. This is usually my way of knowing he has had enough to eat!
- He is very observant. I put a clock on his nightstand next to the rocking chair in his room last week. The first day it was there he would look at it and then look at me as if to say, “Hey, that’s new and it makes some kind of weird ticking noise!”
For rain that is. 60% as a matter of fact. A little after noon Ben was starting to get fussy so I thought it was an opportune time to get him out of the house (he LOVES being outside) and I could really use the exercise. As we ventured out the front door I noticed some very dark clouds in the distance but didn’t think too much of it only because that is the norm for Florida during the summer months. The sky often looks dark, but the typical daily thunderstorm usually doesn’t arrive until around 2 pm. However, I thought it would be best to error on the side of caution and decided to walk to the end of our street and take a Rodge (or Ralph…that’s for you Tonya) around the cul-de-sac and head home. I also thought that if it did begin to rain it would only start with a light sprinkle giving me plenty of time to return home. About mid cul-de-sac the skies opened up. Not just a drop or two…pouring rain!!! Another couple jogging not far from me took off in a full out sprint and all of the lawn care workers were diving into their trucks to take cover. My first thought was to take shelter under someone’s porch, but then I thought I could be standing there for a really long time (this is the option I should have chosen…hindsight is always 20/20). So I made sure Ben was covered as much as possible by the sun shield on his stroller and I took off. Let me tell you, I have not run that fast in a really long time especially since Ben was born. And of course by the time I arrived home, the rain was letting up! I made it up to our front porch and pulled the sun shield back to make sure Ben was okay. The little turkey had the biggest grin on his face! I’m not sure if he just enjoyed his really fast stroller ride or if he was laughing at how goofy I must have looked. Either way, it looks like our local meteorologist got it right today!!
And everything nice, that’s what little girls are made of! We have four friends that are pregnant right now and all are having girls!! Isn’t it exciting!! Here are some pictures of these beautiful ladies and their precious baby bellies!! We miss getting to see them very often but think of them lots!
Sonya at 22 weeks! She and Tonya (also known as the “onyas”) are two of my very best buddies from JBU. Sonya and her husband, Andrew, and daughter, Laynee, live in Arkansas. She is due in August!
Candice at 13 weeks! She is married to my brother, Tim or Timmy as I like to call him. We can’t wait to see them in July! Candice is due on her birthday in November!