I saved the questions below from a cute interview a friend posted on Facebook between her and her daughter back in 2009. I’ve been waiting to interview Ben (and one day Jude) and I thought today would be the perfect occasion! I changed the original version from questions about “mom” to questions about “dad”. So here it goes…my interview with Ben (age 3) on Father’s Day!
1. What is something dad always says to you? Clean up your toys.
2. What makes dad happy? Cleaning up my toys! (Can you tell that teaching Ben to pick up his toys is a BIG deal around our house right now?!? At age 18 months the kid LOVED to sing the “clean up” song and pick up his toys, at age three he acts as if he’d rather get in trouble and have them taken away than clean them up the first time he’s asked! People weren’t kidding when they said the third year is hard!!)
3. What makes dad sad? Hitting daddy.
4. How does your dad make you laugh? He says, “Skippy!” (At the library a few weeks ago, we checked out a Skippyjon Jones book for the first time…Skippyjon Jones and the Big Bones to be exact. He loves this book so much we read it at nap time and bed time and he pretty much has the entire thing memorized. He’ll make sure to correct you even if you get a “the” out of place and he quotes it ALL the time.)
5. What was your dad like as a child? He was a daddy.
6. How old is your dad? One, Two, Three, Four (holding up another finger each time he counts), FIVE! (Ben thinks turning five is the coolest. He tells us all the time, “I’m three and I’m in the 3’s class, then I’ll be four and I’ll be in the 4’s class, then I’ll be FIVE and I’ll be in the 5’s class!!” He’s referring to being moved up to a new classroom each year at our church…he just got moved to the 3’s class at the beginning of June.)
7. How tall is your dad? This much bigger. (Showing me with his hands…one is on the ground and he’s stretching the other one as high as he can in the air.)
8. What is his favorite thing to do? Play.
9. What does your dad do when you’re not around? He plays by himself.
10. If your dad becomes famous, what will it be for? For presents.
11. What is your dad really good at? At playing “bad birds”. (He’s referring to a recent game Jake downloaded on his iPhone called “Angry Birds”.
12. What is your dad not very good at? At playing hard games.
13. What does your dad do for his job? He works at Northland. (Northland is the name of our church…Jake does not work there. But, we were just there for church this morning so he must have Northland on his mind.) 🙂
14. What is your dad’s favorite food? Peanuts. (This answer made me laugh only because we don’t really eat peanuts all that much. Funny that he would pick peanuts of all the foods available to choose from.)
15. What makes Daddy proud of you? Cleaning up my toys again! (I wasn’t kidding was I?!? See Q&A #1 and #2)
16. If your dad were a cartoon character, who would he be? He would be a puppet.
17. What do you and your dad do together? Play a race. (He’s referring to the Wii game “Mario Cart”…it’s always a special treat!!)
18. How are you and your dad the same? You and Daddy are alike. Jude is like me.
19. How are you and your dad different? I am short and Daddy is tall.
20. How do you know your dad loves you? On Jesus Christ. (I’m not entirely sure what he’s trying to say here, but I think it’s cool that he mentions Jesus when asked a question about love.)
21. Where is your dad’s favorite place to go? To the sandwich shop. (When Jake runs out to grab lunch for us on special occasions, Ben loves to tag along!)
Happy Father’s Day, Jake! You are such an amazing daddy to Ben and Jude! Thank you for leading and teaching them by example about what it means to be a man and a father! We love you muy much! 🙂
A Father’s Day post wouldn’t be complete without giving a big shout out to my dad too! Happy Father’s Day, Dad! Thank you for being such a wonderful dad and friend! We are blessed to have you in our lives! We love you lots!
p.s. Wasn’t this such a fun day at the beach!?! It is one of my favorites!!